Sunday, October 4, 2009

Land of the ArtPrize

Yes, I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Home to ArtPrize, the brainchild of Rick Devos, and the worlds largest monetary prize for art. Last Sunday my family and I went downtown to watch the worlds record release of 10,000 paper airplanes (and me without my camera!). Today we took in some of the other exhibits. This first one is a "memory jar" of sorts. The artist captured scents in these canning jars- each is labeled with a smell and a location.
I just plain liked these plum and gold rotating flowers...
A traveling wagon for an artist family...

This one centered on Grand Rapid's history of furniture making...


Grand Rapids own Loch Ness monster (made of styrofoam) floating in the Grand River...




My family enjoying a playful sculpture...




The Sharing Tree, leaves made from melted pop bottles...






The Sharing Tree holds a kaleidoscope that actually turns- autumn leaves are in the base for a colorful presentation...



The exhibit continues until this Saturday and spans a good portion of the downtown, come see it if you can!







1 comment:

Laurie said...

Wow - that looked WAY fun!